Friday, November 5, 2021

Portfolio (With Commentary)


Portfolio, (But it will only let me upload images in reverse for some reason)

Tinkercad House

                             Y'know, I haven't worked in 3d too much, but this turned out alright.


Halloween Costume



It took me forever to even find a photo of myself for this one, It was actually a pose ref for an earlier drawing.


Currency

This turned out so, so, cute! Also I hope this encouraged some of you to read about the Flatwoods Monster. 

This is actually modeled after the Canadian dollar, and the French is replaced with the Standard Galactic Alphabet (from the 90s DOS game Commander Keen and later used for the text on the enchantment tables in Minecraft.)


2nd Project


Honestly, this one could've been better, I think. This concept is solid, but it's a bit sillier than the others.



I love this little critter, I actually came up with lore for them than I ended up using, but I'll leave it up to the imagination what this critter does.


This one's inspired by the umibozu from Japanese folklore, a giant shadowy monster who sinks ships, this one sinks swimmers, I suppose.



This one is what sparked the concept in the first place! I was staying in a weirdly ominous hotel while visiting my brother and came up with this while half-asleep. In hindsight I wish I had taken photos at that hotel.

Project 1 



Moltor is inspired by the aesthetic of certain Kaiju from Ultraman, but the skin shedding idea I came up with. I really like his silly Chameleon face, but I wish the background looked better. I kept misspelling his name as "Moltar" (like the Space Ghost character)



I really, really like Mechani-Gani! I designed them after Sci-Fi themed vintage Tin Toys. I was originally going to have them piloted by a Dr. Wily-esque mad scientist named "Dr. Uchuu" but he was lost on the cutting room floor.

Ah, Shoshinsha Man, He's designed after the Japanese mark that signifies when a driver in inexperienced or elderly. I originally designed him in high school with a more Sentai/Power Rangers like aesthetic but I redesigned him to look like the various Ultraman rip-offs that flooded Japanese TV in the 70s, especially Redman and Jet Jaguar (from Godzilla vs Megalon.) Also this is the drawing that the image of myself I used for the costume project was reference for!


I adore Labria, I really need to use them more in my personal art. I really like amorphous monsters and his design is a blast to draw, they're truly creepy! The feathers on their design are both a reference to real dinosaurs having feathers and to the phrase (and the unfortunate act) "Tarred and Feathered!" The reason they aren't Tar colored is that, figure of the similarly pollution-based monster Hedorah often get gorgeous colorful paintjobs, and I couldn't resist how the seafoam color looked on the design.





I've learned a lot in this class overall and progressed from someone who could barely call himself an artist to someone who can kind of call himself an artist, in all seriousness I have gotten better at art and faster at making quality drawings! I'm very happy I took it.



No comments:

Post a Comment